Sunday, May 1, 2011

SAY WHAT?

So. I'm sure you've heard.
It's all over blogland.
"What?"-you may be asking...
It's this post by Stitched in Color.  I read the first 377 comments, and I also put in my own imput.  Twice, actually!

When I read the comments, I laughed, I felt like a jerk, I even realized how closed-minded I really am.  Let me give you a little background.  My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 6.  I picked it back up again, about two years ago when I was 14.  Yes, I am 16 years old.  I turn 17 on Tuesday the third (YAHOO!!), and I quilt.  I love to sew, I love to make stuff, I like to give my stuff to other people.  But for a long time, when I would see other people's work, I would say, "oh that's ugly" or "it's too old for my taste."  Never once did I realize that that "ugly" quilt took my grandma or one of her friends days, weeks, months, even years to complete!  I never thought to say, oh geez, to someone else, this quilt could mean the world. 
After reading the comments, seeing how people labeled everyone else, I realized I do it too, and that I need to calm it down!  Just because something isn't my taste or style doesn't mean that I can't appreciate it!  Some of those comments were downright nasty, and I am glad that I didn't say "oh I hate this" or "that's fugly."  Sometimes I think it, but to the point where it could really damage a person, I don't think I could ever say that to someone's hard work.
But, I can't preach too much, I've definitely done a lot of those things myself, and I am really working hard on saying nicer stuff. :]

On to bigger and better things! 
I graduate this month...holy shamoly.
(And some more bakground information!)
I'm 16.  I skipped 6th grade.  I am now a senior, and I graduate high school in less than a month!  I also quilt.  And I love to sew (DUH!).  I also try to be a stickler for grammer ;)

So, besides graduation, I have to share more big news!  I finished my first quilt!
I used this tutorial, but I made it a lot smaller and I used only two fabrics.
It's baby sized, but I don't have the exact measurements.

 It kind of looks like an Easter Egg, I think!

Whoa--the color is off in this picture. The fabric is a bright pink and the swirly design is light pink...I think the lighting just kind of stunk.
 And here's my second quilt!  I used the same blocks from the quilt above, just turned them differently.



It was supposed to be a boy quilt for my godbaby, but my mother told me it was too girly!  So, I quilted it in pink...and now I'm not sure if it is even a girl quilt either!

The facts.
Sewn, quilted and bound by me.  Hand sewn binding.  Cotton batting.
All print fabrics in these quilts: "Brother and Sister Designs" at Hobby Lobby.  Solids are the super soft nice ones from JoAnns (they have a few different "lines" of solids and these are the more expensive/thicker/nicer ones)

Thanks for stopping by,
xoxo lyssa grace :)

3 comments:

  1. great job! they're adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! I especially like the back of the second one. And congrats on finishing your first two quilts. May there be many more in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! sorry the reply took so long, it's been a busy month!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment :D it means a lot to hear your opinion!